The Customer | Wood Industrial Services
It is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services employing over 60,000 people across 60 countries.
One of the sectors Wood operates in is industrial services where it offers a wide range of services for new-built asset support, fabric maintenance and decommissioning.
Its services are provided offshore and onshore, across many industries including oil and gas, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, power generation, marine, utilities, transport, infrastructure, and building construction and refurbishment.
As a supplier into the Royal Navy, the Industrial Services division (WIS) provides a unique and invaluable service and strives to offer an unprecedented customer experience.
It identified that many of the business processes supporting the relationship through the supply chain to the Royal Navy were paper-based supported by spreadsheets. The key processes were labour-intensive and covering a number of stages including enquiry, quotation, order received, planning and resourcing, work scheduling and control, NCR’s, and invoicing, and were proving to be inefficient and prone to human error.
Following a scoping exercise, Excelpoint developed software to automate the supplier work requests through to invoicing, enabling WIS customers to log in via a secure portal to raise a work request which in turn triggers the pricing, and on approval, schedules the work and allocates resources and completion dates.
The pricing is calculated based on costs and norms within the system. All this functionality has streamlined key business functions and created significant efficiencies across the division.
• Automatically prices work from the time of the request.
• Implements a Workflow for Approval and Acceptance of work within the contractual terms.
• Generates key tasks and assigns them to the relevant chargehand.
• Downloads tasks to mobile devices and synchronises centrally.
• Enables customers to mark a job as completed within the system.
• Records information against the task for audit trail and invoicing purposes.
• Reviews each task to understand the outcomes and current status.
• Triggers the invoicing process in a timely manner.
• Provides the end customer with complete visibility of all tasks and current status.
The introduction of the Excelpoint system realised a variety of benefits for WIS:
• A system accessible from a browser on any device from desktop to smartphone.
• Eliminated the need for spreadsheet-based processes.
• Eradicated human error.
• Reduced the level of labour-intensive work.
• Allowed the capture of real time information at the point of work.
• Provided full visibility.
• Realised cost savings and improved efficiency.
• Enriched internal and customer communications.
• Enforced best practise and compliance.
• Improved data security with a login restricted by the user.
• Provided easy access and dashboard reporting of valuable information.
• Increased customer satisfaction and improve the overall customer experience.
The new automated process has streamlined key business functions and created significant efficiencies across the division. It can now identify the status of all tasks and expected completion dates, implement additional resources if required to meet deadlines, and keep the customer informed on the progress of their order.
During development and implementation, there was no disruption to the business and its customers. There was also limited retraining of staff required due to the ease of use of the Excelpoint software. Throughout the project, there was very little impact on people and contractual work.
Following implementation, Excelpoint has developed and implemented additional value-added software for other areas of WIS to support it in achieving its objectives associated with digitisation and innovation across Wood.
“Wood is very happy with Excelpoint’s performance to date and at the time of writing is currently engaged on other new projects with the company. We have no hesitation in recommending Excelpoint’s technology and services to others.” Senior Commercial Manager, Wood.